Centre School is a meticulously restored one-room schoolhouse. Erected in 1849 of local fieldstone on property owned by Lewis and Eliza Jane Wright, this was a “subscription school” built by residents for the education of local children. Noted historian George Johnston was the first teacher. Centre School later became part of the public school system as Cecil County Public School No. 6, Fourth District. Despite a push for free schools in Maryland as early as 1671, it was the next to last state to officially establish a comprehensive school system in 1864. Cecil County was ahead of the state, opening the first public schools in 1859. Subscription schools were an important forerunner to that. Centre School closed in 1921 and the property reverted back to the Wright family. It was used to host square dances for several years, but eventually fell into disuse. In 1993, with support and funding facilitated by Elk Creeks Preservation Society, it was restored. Today it stands within the Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area, close by the Fair Hill Nature Center.
In 2014 Elk Creeks Preservation Society funded a new cedar shake roof on Centre School. We continue our dedication to this historic treasure.
Bee Hive - Cooper Shop
In the early autumn of 2014 volunteers cleared fallen beams and debris from the old cooperage at the Bee Hive. Funding from ECPS saw masonry repairs done and the keystones of the huge fireplace restored.